Learn how to use a blast furnace and craft one from ingots and stone. A blast furnace in Minecraft smelts ores to ingots and melts armor to nuggets.
How to Craft a Blast Furnace
Crafting a blast furnace requires:
- 5 Iron Ingots
- 1 Furnace
- 3 Smooth Stone
Making a Blast Furnace
- Arrange the ingredients in the crafting table.
Add 5 Iron Ingots, 1 Furnace and 3 Smooth Stone
A blast furnace can also be crafted from 11 cobblestone and 5 iron ingots and wood or coal as fuel if you don’t already have a furnace.
First, craft a regular furnace with 8 cobblestones on a crafting table leaving the middle slot blank. Using your new furnace, create 3 smooth stone from the remaining 3 cobblestone. Now mine the furnace to pick it up. Now craft your blast furnace on a crafting table from 5 iron ingots, your furnace and the 3 smooth stone you just created.
Using a Blast Furnace
Smelting Armor, Tools and Weapons
Placing iron, gold or chainmail armor, weapons and tools into a blast furnace will reduce them to 1 nugget of the same type. Since it takes 9 nuggets to make an ingot significant material is lost when smelting tools, weapons, and armor in a blast furnace.
You can smelt to following items into nuggets in a blast furnace:
- Helmets, chestplates, leggings and boots of iron, chainmail or gold.
- Pickaxes, swords, shovels, axes and hoes of iron, chainmail or gold.
- Iron or gold horse armor.
The following ores can be smelted in a blast furnace into the resulting item.
- Iron Ore smelts to an iron ingot.
- Gold Ore smelts to a gold ingot.
- Lapis Lazuli Ore smelts to one lapis lazuli
- Redstone Ore smelts to one redstone dust.
- Diamond Ore smelts to 1 diamond.
- Emerald Ore smelts to 1 emerald.
- Nether Quartz Ore smelts to 1 nether quartz.
Blast Furnace Facts
Blast furnaces smelt twice as fast normal furnaces but yield less experience per smelted ore or item.
Blast Furnaces cannot smelt diamond items back to diamonds.
Blast Furnaces require fuel such as wood, coal or charcoal. A blast furnace uses fuel quickly so save up your coal or use a longer lasting fuel like a coal block or lava bucket.
Blast furnaces were added in patch 1.14 of the Java Edition and 1.9 of the Bedrock Edition.